Development of new extracts
Supercritical CO2 extraction can obtain new extracts which are hard to be extracted
We entirely support the development of a product using the data and know-how we have accumulated between the founding of the company in 1900 and the present day.
- Merits of supercritical carbon dioxide （CO2）extraction
- Fat-soluble ingredients (oils and fats, pigment) are usually extracted with organic solvents (hexane, etc.), but the organic solvents remain in the extract, which is considered as a problem. Carbon dioxide is harmless to the human body and can be used as an extraction solvent which is used as a substitute for organic solvent. In addition, as the extraction process is performed under an oxygen-free environment with no light, there is no need to worry about oxidation or photolysis of the ingredients.
|Coffee beans, tea leaves||Caffeine (alkaloids)|
|Hop||α-acids (hop extract)|
|Tobacco leaves||Nicotine (alkaloids)|
|Algae||Beta-Carotene, astaxanthin (carotenoids)|
|Rose||Essential oil (2-phenylethanol)|
|Lavender||Essential oil (lavender oil)|
|Jasmine||Essential oil (benzyl acetate, benzyl benzoate, phytol, fatty acid methyl ester)|
|Peppermint||Essential oil (mint oil)|
|Peppermint oil||Menthol (fraction: removal of ingredients with unpleasant taste and resin ingredients)|
|Citrus fruit peel||Citrus oil|
|Green tea (unfermented tea)、Oolong Tea (half-fermented tea)、Black tea (fermented tea)||Fat-soluble flavor ingredient|
|Spices||Ginger||Gingerol (pungent ingredient)|
|Red pepper, paprika||Capsaicin (carotenoids)|
|angelica, allspice, cardamom, sage, celery,caraway, clove,coriander, etc.||Essential oil|
|Turmeric||Essential oil (turmerone: sesquiterpenes), curcumin|
What is supercritical CO2 extraction?
It is a fluid that is beyond the limit (critical point) of temperature and pressure in which gas and liquid can coexist, and has a gas property (diffusion property) of being able to enter anywhere and also a liquid property (solubility) that dissolves ingredients.
Development of new raw materials from extracts and the flow of OEM
- Confirmation of the needs of manufacturing the product and discussions on the natural product that the client would like to extract
- Trial production
- Trial extraction is conducted using the natural product in question. When using the supercritical CO2 extraction method, we conduct an extraction test using a trial machine that is 1/1000 the size of the actual production machine.
- Extracted ingredients obtained from the trial extraction are analyzed and evaluated.
- Discussion for
- If the sample extract obtained reaches a high enough level in terms of quality and ingredients, we calculate the cost of actual production and perform a scale-up test using an actual production machine.
- Discussion for
- We determine the extraction conditions based on the result of the scale-up test and manufacture the product
- Delivery of the product